Are we spending our time wisely?
Psalm 90: 4-6;9,12
4. For a thousand years in they sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
5. Thou carriest them away as with a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up.
6. In the morning it flourisheth, and groweth up; in the evening it is cut down, and withereth.
9. For all our days are passed away in they wrath: we spend our years as a take that is told.
12. So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
Are we spending our time wisely? Do we really realize just how short time is? What are we doing that proves we know that our days are numbered?
(vs 4) When we think back on our lives up to this point, its as if we could squeeze all our memories into one day. When we look back, do we realize maybe all the times we said we would do this or that for God, just to realize we have not fullfilled our promises.
(vs 5 & 6) When I was a kid I can remember along the road where I lived, were these pretty flowers. In the mornings they had beautiful, colorful flowers that had bloomed. But, when you came back later in the afternoon, the blooms would be gone. That is our life in a nutshell! How are we spending the time that we are bloomed?
(vs 9) When I read this verse it makes me think that it means our life could be condensed down into a bedtime story that you might sit down to tell a child. Life goes by too quick. What are you doing with the time you have been given?
Are you investing in things that are temporal, or are you investing into things eternal?
James 4:14 KJV
14. Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
We make so many plans, and plans are ok. But when our focus is on the plans, we are missing the opportunities that are with us at that moment.
James 4:17 KJV
17. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
We should spend TODAY doing what we know is right. We know that God commands us to tell others how to get to Heaven. Are we doing that? If we are not, that is sin in our lives. Think about who you work with, your neighbors, kids, parents…..do they know Jesus? You are the only one that can tell them.
Use your time wisely!