Investing in our Kids
Joshua 24:15 KJV
15. And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
As parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, or friends we do a lot for the kids in our lives. We try our best to help prepare them for the future. We set aside money for education, weddings, or whatever may come their way. All of this is a great idea, and its a good idea to plan for the future.
But are we too focused on the temporal. What are we planning for their spiritual future?
Don’t believe the myth that a child will “sow their wild oats”. That does not have to be the case. We should teach our children while they are young that they can serve God in their youth as well as adulthood.
Some ways to invest in our kids spiritually are….
- 1.Teach them to love God, and others. Teach them to have a servant’s heart. Don’t let them develop the concept that they are entitled to anything. Let them learn that God teaches us to love others, and to love Him first of all.
2. First of all and most important, we need to be sure they come to know Jesus as their savior. Don’t leave it to the preacher, pastor, Sunday school teacher, youth leader. It is our job to lead our kids to Jesus. Start as early as you can, telling them how much Jesus loves them, and how he gave himself for them. Teach them that without Him, they are without hope.
3. Help them to grow in the Lord. Give them a set time everyday to read their bible. Read with them, teaching them just how important it is to spend time with God. Help them to learn to form Godly habits.
4. Don’t be afraid to punish your kids. You are not here to be their best buddy, you are here to raise them in the fear and admonition of the Lord. They need to be taught that there is a consequence for their actions. And they need to know that you are consistent. Don’t make empty promises….”You do that AGAIN, and you will get a spanking”. Kids know if you will follow thru or not.
5. Teach them to look to Godly mentors. Make christians their heroes. Teach them to pattern their lives after people who love God, and put Him first.
6. Be that example to them that you should be. They will learn by your actions. We can’t expect them to put God first, if they do not see us putting Him first.
Invest in your kids spiritual life.
If you don’t teach them to love God, then the world will teach them not to.